Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?

Wow that looks awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been translating the quest text. I came across one quest that I remember confused me in LoF. On a foggy day, a knight encounters a huge flying dragon. The Knight freezes as the dragon circles overhead. The dragon finally leaves and then the LoF translation says:

Quote:As [Knight] looked at the dragon`s footprint, the [Item] was lying there. The dragon must have dropped it.
‎ 
Since the dragon never landed, I always wondered why there was a footprint and why on earth an item would be in the footprint. I just came to that quest in BGE and it literally says:

Quote:When [knight] looks under foot, [item] has fallen. Dragon seems to have recently dropped.

I think Atlus mistakenly assumed it was under the dragon's foot, but it actually means under the Knight's foot. I think the implication is that the dragon had dropped an item and was circling overhead looking for it. When the dragon gives up and leaves, the knight stumbles across the item and swipes it. It finally makes sense!!!

Some of these quests are fun. Movingeyes

hey HwitVlf, just want you to know that I register here in this forum simply because of your ongoing translation project. I just want to say a GAZILLION THANKS to you because with this project that you're doing, you're relieving this AMAZING game for all of us. I can only cheer for you since I don't have any knowledge of whatsoever on what you're doing. So keep it up and once again, a GAZILLION THANKS TO YOU!!! beerchug

Thanks for the support mamimima! ‎  Cool

Can't believe i read all pages and now is 4AM. I decide to reg an acc just to thank for your passion & dedication to this project.
BGE is really a good, addictive game. Me and my friends (about 7 ppl) used to play it alot at public PSX store over 10 years ago. It started when one of my friends played it, then like a "disease", it spreaded to one after another. We grinded, watched others played, shared tips, showed off our troop..... they were fun memories. I always wish someday someone will make an English patch for this game. That's why your work means alot to me (and im sure to many BGE fans out there also).
Hope you will make it to the end.

A cheer from Vietnam ‎  beerchug

Thank you Tezuka! I hope I will make it to the end also. I never thought there was a lot of text in Brigandine, but actually there is. ‎  Doing a very rough estimate based on text file sizes, there are around 500,000+ Japanese letters in Brigandine Grand Edition's dialog text (not including, menu,description, names etc). That's a lot of text! ‎  Eek

I think I'm almost through with translating the quests that appeared in Legend of Forsena, though it looks like there are a lot of new ones in BGE. Reading these quests make me wonder:

Does anyone know if a Knight's stats influence the outcome of a Quest?

Just for the fun of it, here's an example of a literal translation of the Japanese compared to what Atlus used in Legend of Forsena and my translation:

Quote:[name] walks in mist through a forest. Suddenly, at their feet they see a colorful flower like they had never seen before... after admiring the flower for awhile, [name] is enthralled and reaches out a hand and picks the flower unwittingly. They are wrapped in the mysterious scent of the flower. Suddenly, [name] feels very drowsy! [name] falls asleep!!.....................next thing they realize the flower is gone. To boot,they have been stripped of all their possesions. [name] heads home feeling perplexed.

Quote:[NAME] was walking through a foggy forest. As [NAME] looked around, there was a strange flower sprouting out of the ground. Fascinated with the flower, [NAME] reached out for it. A mysterious aroma then filled the air. All of a sudden, [NAME] became drowsy! [NAME] fell asleep! .............................................As [NAME] woke up, the flowers were gone... Furthermore, [NAME] was robbed... [NAME] left for home not knowing which way to turn.

Quote:"[name] is walking through a misty forest when they spot an odd flower growing in the moss. Fascinated by its exotic beauty, [name] picks the flower and absorbs its fragrance.Suddenly, [name] becomes drowsy! Thud!...they are asleep!... ... ... ... when [name] wakes up the flower is gone. ... and so is their gold! [name] has been robbed! Embarrassed, they head for home."

Hey, just want to give you some more words of encouragement! Brigandine is one of my favorite PSX games. I've actually played through Grand Edition several times, but I can only really read katakana/hiragana and a handful of kanji, so I'd love to see it translated. My brother's also a big fan of the game, and I've got a friend that is too.

(2013-06-17, 10:38 PM)HwitVlf link Wrote:Most items in Brigandine reference something from Norse mythology such as the sword Answerer (so often mistranslated as Answeller). ‎  I'd like to keep spellings as correct as possible, but I can't find any historical reference to one particular item.

It's ‎  called something like "Valient's Wings" and grants flying to any troop; does anyone know what mythological thing that name might be referring to?

If you're still wondering about this, it's "VÃ ‎¶lundr's Wings."

Awesome information! I did quite a few searches for "wing" references in Norse Mythology and didn't find VÃ ‎¶lundr. I see one of the old Norse spellings is Velentr which is probably the one that the Japanese word was referencing. ‎  I've often been surprised that localizers (Atlus) don't seem to good contact with the developers (E3 Staff) to prevent mistranslations like this from happening. That's definitely going in the translation.

Thank you for the encouragement also! The translation work I'm doing right now is rather mathematically tangled and unforgiving (aka not much fun Drool) so the encouragement is especially welcome ‎  beerchug

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that localization departments were basically just starting out at the time. It was extremely rare for the localizers to have any direct contact with the development team, even if they were actually part of the same company. Also consider that the Internet didn't have the same level of information on it 15 years ago that it does now. If you couldn't get in contact with the development team, the only way to find the source for some obscure reference would be to go look through mythology books at your library. I'm impressed that they got as much right as they did!

If you're interested, a couple of the recent 8-4 Play podcasts had interviews with Alexander O. Smith (Final Fantasy VIII, Vagrant Story) and Jeremy Blaustein (Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: SotN) where they talk about early localization.

Things are certainly different these days! Atlus is definitely on the ball with mythology references now. Which is great, because they kind of have to be when the Shin Megami Tensei games and spinoffs are their bread and butter.