Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?

I get attached to names when I like a game, but I don't really think it matters what the original Japanese names were.

It can be very hard to know what the Japanese name is supposed to be. Some names just sound horrible in English so it makes sense to change them. Like the old king of Norgard who's name is literally Dor-me-ditzu.

The scene with Aldis is voiced in BGE and she says the dragons name like Pee-row. But since the dragon is a Fafner, maybe it is supposed to be Puro meaning 'pure' in reference to the Fafner's white element. I don't know.

I was debating about whether to change Limlight's name to Remlit. In the Japanese, his name is something like Rima-ritto. The word 'Limelight' means 'center of attention' in English which doesn't seem to fit an Elf with his personality.

having trouble doing BGM translations myself. Makes sense you will have to change some names because the way they translate over.

Nicolai21 Is BGM Brigandine Grand Movies? Do you have any interest in translating the Brigandine Grand manual?

Does anyone have an interest in programming a quest editor for Brigandine Grand Edition?

I've deciphered most of the quest format so it would be easier that starting form scratch. Grand Edition includes a setup for "sound tags" which allow you to embed sounds directly in the text. I haven't taken the time to figure it all out.

Also of interest, the quest system in Grand Edition supports tags that insert the name of the questing Knight's Lord and home country. Strangely, only a couple quests actually use this feature, but they do add the ability to make the quests seem significantly more 'personalized'.

Now here's the real mystery of the Brigandine world...
Whats up with this guys facial hair!!!!

He almost looks like he's in the middle of changing into a werewolf ‎  Tinfoil

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Who is he? I think he is Lucia's father :)

I'm remember this quest, when Lucia go back to her home for a while.

By the way, it seems need a long time to finish this project ‎  Movingeyes

Good eye! He's the father of the boy in Lucia's quest. He's not actually Lucia's father, but it's easy yo make that mistake because the boy calls her "sister". It's just an honorary term of endearment. Lucia's conversation with the father makes it clear she's not related to the family.

The quests sections have taken much longer than I expected. Just setting up the line breaks takes quite a lot of time since you have to custom-fit each sentence to the width of the window where it is displayed. ‎  The available space for text in any window's changes depending on which portrait is displayed on the window's side. Some quests have two protraits covering up a large part of some text boxes. It's not enough to just have all the text displayed in a big block, the timings and groupings of text play a big part in telling the quest's story.

It was much easier in the original Japanese because they have no spaces between words and all their letters are perfect squares.

I've moved on from the quest text for now and started working on the "Battle Quips" section. Luckily, it uses pretty much the same text system as the "Special Recruit Quests" so I didn't have to do much dissecting. But I still had to program a ‎  custom text extractor tool since the battle quips section is arranged differently that other sections.

The Quips/Special Quest text system includes special tags to integrate speech and sound effects directly into text. The quest's "choreography" data tells the system which sounds and graphics should be ready for the use in the quest. Then tags embedded in the text control when the sounds/graphics are played/displayed.

The big problem is that the setup is designed to auto-next the dialog boxes in sync with the voice acting. Needless to say, the timing on Japanese speaking is quite different than the time it takes to read the equivalent in English. Not quite sure the best way to handle this problem yet.

Anyways, here is a little sample from one of the battle quips as displayed in the Recollection section. ‎ 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sorry meant Grand Edition. Is there a manual for the game? I may be able to translate that with my dictionary.

For HwitVlf

Do you want to know about the best way to fix that auto next dialog boxes?

Just press circle when text are displayed so the voice acting will dissapear and you're done ‎  Smile

Why? I think the dialouge text are more important than it's voice. ‎  Biggrin