How is SOM different (or not different) from what people do with PC games (mods)

(2013-06-22, 09:15 AM)Guyra link Wrote: Mods are modifications to an existing game, while SoM is a set of game making tools. It's basically as simple as that.

If you took a King's Field game and started changing things about it, that would be a mod. If you use SoM to create something, you're making a brand new game.

Generally, you would need to own the existing game to play a mod. If the mod does not require you to own the existing game, it is most likely illegally including and distributing the files from the original game upon which it is based, since it can not be run without them.

Yes. I suppose the official distinction for a "mod" is you must have the original game to use it. SOM lets you make standalone games. But I don't think that will be used very much at some point because standalone games require so much bloat. They make perfect sense on a CD but it would be better I think if the standard way to play a SOM game is to start by installing SOM.

Anyway at that point, the distinction is fuzzier. You can play a standalone game if you really must. But most people might see it as being a mod system for a free game. I think you could install SOM just the data folder without the tools. But the tools probably wouldn't amount to enough to warrant the added complexity.

But yeah, that seems like a good technical answer. But I wonder if there is something to be said about the spirit of the matter.

Messages In This Thread
Re: How is SOM different (or not different) from what people do with PC games (mods) - by HolyDiver - 2013-06-22, 11:23 PM