Legend of Grimrock like King's Field?

Came across this game today and it looks pleasantly similar to the King's Field series. I always felt like KF had a rare balance of story/exploration/puzzle along with combat. A lot of action games these days just seem to focus on button-mashing combat. Legend of Grimrock sounds like it might be close in spirit to KF.

There's a slight discount for pre-ordering if anyone wants to check it out:
https://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/legend_of_grimrock

ooooooooh, this looks good. Nice find, looks like something I'm gonna have to try out.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. Ninja

Looks good. Might be closer to the Additional games, than the main series, though. Anyway, I wouldn't mind trying it out some time. ^^

Even though it has "grid based" movement, Grimrock is full 3D (while turning etc). ‎  That makes a huge difference versus the Additionals. Wizardry: The Forsaken Land was full 3D but had grid based movement and once you got used to the control scheme, it felt like normal 3D. It doesn't detract from getting immersed in the environment, and it adds a neat tactical/strategy element to battling or fleeing from enemies.

Ah, that's pretty nice. ^^

Sounds good but if its grid based, and say the enemy is chasing you, does the enemy move with you as you retreat?

The enemies move considerably slower than you, but they will follow if you retreat. The trick seems to be to not get trapped in a corner by multiple enemies! It is full 3d though. there's a "look" button that lets you around you normally (instead of being locked at 90 degree angles).

I've played Grimlock a little now and sadly it's not really like the KF series. ‎  Grimlock is a nice game, but it has less story than KF, and more puzzles. The combat is quite difficult (like KF was at times), but that's mainly because it takes place in cramped rooms so it's hard to outmaneuver enemies.

I dug up an old 3DO game the other night - Slayer - its actually very much like KFJ - and in some cases, maybe made a little better, and it even predates it.

The game is not great, especially by today's standards, but it did play decently for 1992. ‎  I think it had a sequel called Death Keep, but I have not yet had a chance to play that ;)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

This game looks neat but I can't see myself playing one of those games where it moves your character 1 square at a time like that.