Rathmor News 19/08/2011 - 28/02/2013

Awwww, u should have kept that new enemy a secret. It would have been fun looking around at all the nice work u've made walk up to the shell thinking its a harmless decoration only to be attacked by it. Oh well, nice work as usual ‎  Biggrin
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. Ninja

Got plenty more suprises dont worry ‎  Biggrin and thanks!

The newest screenshots look quite good, especially the cowled man - he also kind of reminds me of the merchant from RE4, hehe! "What're buyin'?!"

Thanks. You wont be able to see the eyes of any npcs, though enemies have eyes of a sort.

Edit: Thanks for the nostalgia too! I loved my first playthrough on res:4

Very nice Ben. The "shelled critter" kind of looks cute. You should make him a boss like the white rabbit in "Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail". . . "Awww look at the cute snail critter!" ‎ 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Hahaha yeah how could i forget ‎  Smile actually its kind of like my version of a kf 'slime' only i didnt want to copy, so i distorted him and gave him legs, a mobile home and a tongue. ‎  Dazed

UPDATED!

Now with added fresh image presentation.

Sweet! And I have to give you an extra thumbs up for the clam as a healing item, really creative! And, I don't know, it kind of "feels" like a healing item. Really nice! :D

Monkey

It isn't simple to setup. An "always on" event is required, but I find that I like it when healing items are regenerative instead of instantaneous. Especially with SOM it prevents the player from simply pausing the action over and over and over to just complete a fight by using up their healing reserves.

It would be cool if magic worked the same way (because it just feels more natural) except that you can't trigger events with magic without using some error prone trickery. I think Ex can add something to SOM's book of tricks with respect to support magic, just need to do some work to detect what menu items are highlighted which is something on the todo list anyway.

An idea someone had was consuming two types of medicines together can have a third effect so that you can kind of combine them by digesting them. It's a little strange but it's probably a lot more convenient than an actual combination system which SOM can't really do anyway. I never enjoy item combination in games myself.

I had the idea of having an item that does random effects, some ill effects, and I think that sparked someone's imagination to have combinatorial effects. I actually think that is more useful as a way to limit item consumption by having ill side effects more often than not, but a positive side effect is a good reward for experimentation I suppose. An overdose system would also be neat.

I posted a new and improved evtcat.exe program and an evtcat.bat script for synchronizing always on events a while back. I think Ex could simplify this by maintaining a counter that reports the last item that was used. Then a single event could just check it each cycle.

PS: The clams are clever. They are like little compacts. Very portable. Oyster on a halfshell. Slirp. Will there be versions that are larger on the inside signifying greater potency? Anyway, anything is better than herbs. By god I don't want to see another "herb" as long as I live Rainbow

EDITED: I also like the bone. Anything to make the adventure fill more makeshift is great. Especially if you start out with little in the way of equipment. Most of the equipment in Dark Souls is too silly or unbalanced to be useful. You never really feel excited to loot a new piece of equipment because chances are it is something you would not have anything to do with. I would really prefer if the big comical looking weapons are something that is absolutely frowned upon by Sword of Moonlight's artist community. I realize having all of those items helps the pvp community feel more diverse cosplay shenanigans wise, but for the average player its just a chore to sort through all of the gimmicky weaponry.

I am seriously thinking about a durability system for SOM nowadays. I think one way to force the player to pick up and use things like that bone is to put the player in a situation where their starting equipment begins to break faster than it can be replaced if they doesn't make use of found equipment.

The durability system will also make things break faster if their affinities are mismatched. So a bone can be more resilient where a sword would quickly break down against monsters with high slash defenses.

The only real hurdle to setting up the durability system is making the number of equipment on hand appear in the equipment menus. That's new territory as it adds something totally new to the menus. My plan is to just have the durability stat look like the item counts in the item menu. The durability stat itself will just be the number of copies of the item in the inventory. There are details posted in the swordofmonlght.net forum.