SomEx instructions thread for Rathmor demo

So I figured out what was making the walk effect twitchy in the demo...

Basically if you are using a Sony Dualshock controller... for some reason or another the sticks do not produce linear output. I don't know if that is considered to be good or what. But I've never played a PS game that I can remember where I was at all happy with the analog calibration with respect to sensitivity/ramp.

For instance with Demons' Souls and Dark Souls its nigh impossible to walk, so I don't even know why the animation is in there. I prefer to not run everywhere like a spaz given the option. For some reason towards the edges of the sticks there is a lot of sensitivity but not towards the middle.

So in my test project I added the following...

Code:
[Detail]
escape_analog_gaits = .2 .25 .3 .4 .55 .75 .95

To make the sticks more linear so not to jump past gaits. If your sticks are twitchy you might try adding this to the [Detail] section (note: not the [Adjust] section this time)

What was making the twitch was the gaits hopping back and forth every other frame. So in the upcoming SomEx.dll release (shooting for a few days from now) I intend to add some logic to make the the gait switching more discreet (like quantum leaping)

But until then, you can just add this if your controller is twitchy. Why this helps twitch-wise is it just puts more space between the boundaries. If you happen to keep the stick over a boundary then it will still be twitchy. The problem with the dual shock is just that all of the boundaries in this case are near the edge.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Rathmor Demo SomEx instructions thread - by HolyDiver - 2012-12-31, 02:24 PM