Rathmor preview Aug 2010 (Updated 19/8/10)

By viewing the following images you agree not to sell, hire, rent or copy my own designs.
You may link to this webpage through my permission.
This is my work and i have spent hours on it. If you want to create something like this, do it yourself, please.
This game was made with the Sword of Moonlight tool made by From Software.
It was also made with Metasequoia and Metasequoia LE (freeware/shareware)
Textured with GIMP, ms paint and irfanview.

IMPORTANT: These renders, items and alot of ideas are now obsolete. This thread has been left here for development purposes.
Chances of seeing anything in this thread in the final game is very slim indeed.

For more up to date screenshots and renders, please view the "Rathmor screenshots and video" Thread.

[Image: rathmor.jpg]

I am proud to introduce my game, Rathmor.
It is a SoM built game, created and designed by myself alone.

The game will include...

New weapons and armour unseen before in any KF or SoM game. There will be new types of weapons such as spears, flails, and a few other hidden weapons.

I dont want to spoil the surprise, but heres a little sample of renders.

A unique axe.
[Image: brokkeid.png]
A sword.
[Image: zds2.png]
An important sword.
[Image: zds3d.png]
A plumed helm.
[Image: wildplume.png]
A simple scalemail armour.
[Image: scalemail.png]

New maps and environments

I have exhaustively compiled and created alot of new map pieces. All map pieces are useable, and playable.

Heres a sneak peek of a few models. Please understand that these screenshots were taken during development stages, and that the final results
will very possibly variate from them.

[Image: houselx.png]

[Image: stepsgp.png]

[Image: watchtower.png]

[Image: udg1.png]

[Image: redtent.png]

New enemy textures

[Image: minotaurwarriors.png]

[Image: dodarcfun.png]

Features:

The game will have a free roaming aspect, allowing players to initiate side quests during the main quests.
Important item gathering feature.
The ability to combine items, and to make new items.
Counters that affect the games outcome and the outcome of quests.
Important npc interaction.
Survivalism! (to an extent!)

Alot of the main games features will remain hidden until its ready to play!

There will be a prologue coming soon, and after that i hope to add my main game!

UPDATE! 19/8/10

Some new item renders...

An embossed shield (texture feedback would be nice.)
[Image: embossed.png]

A bascinet.
[Image: bascinet.png]

A tribal style bone shield.
[Image: tribaldesign.png]

A bone spear. (Upper detail.)
[Image: spearhead.png]

I've made alot more but i cant really give the suprise away.

I'm finished with the items now, i dont know if they'l all fit into SoM's item list!

Sweet, it looks stylistically something like KF2 but also different. I hope you take the time to make all of your graphics visually consistent.

I think custom menus/compass etc would really help. Be careful about that grass I see in some of your screenshots. That very well may be an object you really don't want in your game. You should setup a demo so you can get some input. Especially on technical stuff.

Very very cool man. ‎  I'll be honest, a ton of this doesnt look SOM at all...alot of your own style is definitely showing up, which I think is awesome. ‎  Mytrosia is looking very unique and now so is this project.

Its very weird (not in a bad way) but your custom textures remind me ALOT of the original KFJ that wasnt released in the US. ‎  The textures are, trying to think how to explain it, not necessarily shaded or shaped, they are more like filling the polygons, very KFJ like.

I for one am very happy you two are sticking with it and can definitely say im much more anxious to play these games than anything being released for modern consoles.

Keep it up!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

It leans more to KF2 I think. I like "KFJ" because it's pretty abstract (low-poly) ... the game will look especially good if it's graphically consistent.

Great to hear you guys like the look of it. Some of my earlier models arent graphically consistent... Recently i use bump mapping where i need it, and that helps tremendously. With certain models i've stuck to using basic textures, though for example with the plumed helm i had a very rough, metallic texture first, but i switched to something smoother and more fitting.

With the grass, its just a simple object for test purposes really, i'll be using a different grass selection assigned to map pieces for my grassy areas. All of the screens (except the screen with the tent / marquee) were taken in test maps.

With grass... Its difficult to get something low poly and fitting, but i managed to create a grass selection that looks a bit like reeds... You can see it in the underground screenshot.

I've kept the best items hidden ‎  Biggrin or some of the best, the really unique looking items will make it to the final game, and some will be in the prologue.

Just to be clear, Som can't doesn't do bump mapping. I realize you (surely) mean you're texturizing your textures somehow -- eg. baked in bump mapping. Of course with a little work it could do real bump mapping and a whole host of effects if people feel that is important.

Bump mapping basically means you have a texture that once lit the bump component of the texture will contribute to the lighting normal on a per texel basis. In other words your flat polygon will appear bumpy when a light goes over it.

PS: One interesting effect I'm aware of, if your fog starts at 0 distance when previewing your items the fog will give them a kind of depth / liveliness, and in 16bpp mode it's really pronounced and even looks like your metallic equipment has a sheen or a brushed metal effect being applied to it.

EDITED: I BTW really like the original textures. They look pretty consistently like KF2/3. The Som stuff doesn't mix well however. Mainly the grass. And the wood texture seems too flat compared to the other original stuff. Maybe just needs the contrast ramped up.

Yeah i agree, the wood needs sorted out, as does the mud texture. Both textures are from the original SoM assets. They are on my to do list.

Thanks for the info, i should have been clearer. Bumping textures is good for the likes of chain mail, but when it comes to wanting a flat material like the cobblestones for a marketplace, bumping is bad.

I have my own textures for grass, ill include a render of a grass piece for you to see and give your verdict please.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hey Ben, when do you want me to add a Rathmor section to the main page?

Im going to redo it soon to resize the buttons and use the space a bit better than it is now and would be happy to put a rathmor project link there (if you want to design the pages for it that would be fine too, or I can do them for you).
Site Founder

Currently modelling a bone set. Looks really nice so far.

Todd, could you send me the mqo file for gauntlets please. Biggrin

Ya, I got your email, I will look around tonight to see if i can find it.

I probably should send you the zip file of my custom model stuff like i did Joe so you can have anything/everything you need that I ever made. ‎  If you want it, i believe I have it uploaded already and you can download the whole kit.
Site Founder