Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?

(2014-03-16, 07:56 PM)HwitVlf link Wrote:whitelight, Credentials aren't required. Just having a second set of eyes is useful since I continually find new typos I've overlooked. People aren't lining up for the job. Actually, reading all the scripts can kind of dull the game since there is no mystery left. If you're sure you want to do that (ruin the mystery for yourself), let me know and I'll send you some text to check over. It's also fine if you'd rather 'keep the mystery' and pass. But, thank you for the offer either way ‎  beerchug

It won't really affect me that much. To me, a great experience when playing the game isn't just about the "story" in itself but more so on the fact that you get to "experience" the game while you're playing it. Reading the script would be different as to actually playing the game and boy would I ever want to contribute as much as I can. If only I'm good at hacking the game and stuff then I would've offered too ‎  Rofl This game is huge and I know it can be tiring. So I'll be glad to lend my assistance to you by proofreading and whatnot ‎  Biggrin

Once the full translation patch is done, then it will be worth it :D

whitelight. Sent a private message.

Dinar, I managed to recreate the bug easily and verified that it happens in the non-translated BGE too. Does it happen in LoF? ‎  I will check into fixing the bug before I release the final patch. I can probably place some breakpoints at various stages of the attack process and see which ones are triggered before the freeze loop. If some post-attack routines aren't being triggered (damage calculation etc), that should give me a general idea of where the loop is happening.

The loop is probably happening because a function is trying to access data that isn't where it should be. If for example, the game has an IF test loop that reads a list of enemies until it find the counter-attacker:

1. read next list entry
2. IF entry is Auron, go to 4
3. ELSE go to 1
4. continue to damage calculation

If the counter attacker is not on the list, the loop could just keep looking forever. If I can narrow down where that is happening, I might be able to fix it.

I'm on it. Perfect timing as I have a day off tomorrow ‎  Biggrin Anyway, a few questions:

1. Is there a certain word number limit imposed per quest that I have to follow? Since I will be suggesting changes (I've looked up the texts now and I already made suggestions) in the script I would like to know if there is a limit. That way I won't go overboard. ‎  Rofl
2. I understand a bit of html coding so am I right to assume that the [KNIGHT] etc. in the coding correspond to codes in the game for certain stuff to happen, like in the case of the aforementioned, the name of the knight involved is inserted into the text?
3. Regarding the use of pronouns, I know I saw you post somewhere regarding the usage of his/her, him/her in contrast to using they as it can be passed for usage in general. Was it because there isn't a specific "code" you can use that would properly switch out pronouns depending on the gender? I have to know this, that way I can also think up of ways to work around this little bleep in the system. Hell Ernest Wright was able to create 'Gadsby A Story of Over 50,000 Words Without Using the Letter "E"' which means there's a possible workaround on this one.
4. This is actually quite fun to do. :D Hopefully I get to help :))

Cool!
There are significant space limits depending on the section.

The random generic quests are handled as a block. There is not limit to a single quest's text, but the total for all quests is already very close to the maximum length.

The descriptions block can expand a little, but each description is limited to what will fit in the display box. it's hard to set an exact letter limit since I'm using a variable width font. But if you look for the longest description, that will be close at the maximum text length per-description.

For the recruit quests, I actually haven't checked for sure as I'm still translating the text. It appears as though there might be room to expand, but I haven't tested.

There is info on the tags in info.txt, but yes you are right. They are just my labels that work with the text-inserter program. [KNIGHT] inserts a code that draws the questing knight's name, [ITEM] inserts the current random items name, [CARD] is a random card from the fortune teller quest and [STAT] is a random stat boost etc.

(2014-03-18, 08:04 AM)HwitVlf link Wrote:Cool!
There are significant space limits depending on the section.

The random generic quests are handled as a block. There is not limit to a single quest's text, but the total for all quests is already very close to the maximum length.

The descriptions block can expand a little, but each description is limited to what will fit in the display box. it's hard to set an exact letter limit since I'm using a variable width font. But if you look for the longest description, that will be close at the maximum text length per-description.

For the recruit quests, I actually haven't checked for sure as I'm still translating the text. It appears as though there might be room to expand, but I haven't tested.

There is info on the tags in info.txt, but yes you are right. They are just my labels that work with the text-inserter program. [KNIGHT] inserts a code that draws the questing knight's name, [ITEM] inserts the current random items name, [CARD] is a random card from the fortune teller quest and [STAT] is a random stat boost etc.

Gotcha. Alright, will try to do workarounds and rewording then. Hmm, so there is an auto-gender text inserter. But in the info.txt you sent, it only pertained to "he", so I assume it can be changed to a he or she depending on the gender of the knight, but is it also applicable with her/him, his/hers?

Sorry if I have a lot of questions, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing ‎  Sweatdrop

No problem, question show you are thinking, which is a prerequisite for this kind of work. ‎  Wink

The gender tags I created only recognize capitalized or lower case 'he' and 'his'. The code ‎  detects the knight's gender and changes it to she/her when appropriate. But 'hers' and 'him' should be avoided- which shouldn't be a problem the the knight's name is available. "The dog bit him" > "The dog bit [KNIGHT]"

There are probably some stray "their" and "them" attempts at gender neutral pronouns in the random quest text. those should be changed to [he/He] [his/His], I just haven't cleaned that up very well yet. Badteeth

(2014-03-18, 09:04 AM)HwitVlf link Wrote:No problem, question show you are thinking, which is a prerequisite for this kind of work. ‎  Wink

The gender tags I created only recognize capitalized or lower case 'he' and 'his'. The code ‎  detects the knight's gender and changes it to she/her when appropriate. But 'hers' and 'him' should be avoided- which shouldn't be a problem the the knight's name is available. "The dog bit him" > "The dog bit [KNIGHT]"

There are probably some stray "their" and "them" attempts at gender neutral pronouns in the random quest text. those should be changed to [he/He] [his/His], I just haven't cleaned that up very well yet. Badteeth

Thanks, I really am serious about wanting to help ‎  Wink And you're right, him and her can be eliminated since it's only a small block of text and using the knight's name wouldn't sound as redundant. Will continue with what I'm doing then. ‎  Biggrin I will give you an update as soon as I make considerable progress ‎  beerchug

I just read all the posts and the company who made Brigandine is Hearty Robin.

Now where can I get this patch so I can play this? I played the original to no end and then in 2014 found out about GE. So mad, but thanks to you I can play in english!
I also know some Japanese and can do translations if ya need me to.

(2014-03-17, 09:33 PM)HwitVlf link Wrote:whitelight. Sent a private message.

Dinar, I managed to recreate the bug easily and verified that it happens in the non-translated BGE too. Does it happen in LoF? ‎  I will check into fixing the bug before I release the final patch. I can probably place some breakpoints at various stages of the attack process and see which ones are triggered before the freeze loop. If some post-attack routines aren't being triggered (damage calculation etc), that should give me a general idea of where the loop is happening.

The loop is probably happening because a function is trying to access data that isn't where it should be. If for example, the game has an IF test loop that reads a list of enemies until it find the counter-attacker:

1. read next list entry
2. IF entry is Auron, go to 4
3. ELSE go to 1
4. continue to damage calculation

If the counter attacker is not on the list, the loop could just keep looking forever. If I can narrow down where that is happening, I might be able to fix it.

Thanks for your info HwitVlf.

I swear I didn't know if Charmed units are able to counter attack.

By the way, how did you know if I use a cheat for my game?

Please attention if my game use a "save state" instead of memory card :)

Indeed, I use a cheat for Multiplayer mode. I just want to know which the strongest country if their potential are maximum (in other words, reach level 30).

For now, Norgard is the Strongest Country. Even they had a some Knight with high Rune Power like Dogal (410 RP), Noie (423 RP), etc

Meanwhile, in Almekia, a lot of Powerful Knight join this country, such as Hyude, Sheridan, Vanessa, Alsace, etc. Do you know Aldis? Even she has a HIGHEST RUNE POWER when reach level 30. Her rune power is 455 (including a Solomon Ring), a little bit higher than Lance who has only 451 RP. Vaynard in 3rd position, 445 RP.

Well, I will waiting for your project until it finished. This patch will make my Brigandine become more interest. ^_^

And one again, did you watch my video until at the end? In last part, there is a glitch which I don't know how that bug could happen. Esgares VS Leonia, but no opponents from Leonia. So, Esgares won instantly. -_-

Random question! But a totally important question. Can you tweak with knight levels? ‎  Confused I sure hope that you can. Bowl