Unsorted screenshots

That staff idea is pretty good! I will definately think about adding it, and the sword magic window could have a longer input time - maybe 10 frames. Of course an NPC would have to teach you the tehnique Dazed

I dont know that its technically feasible ( I am sure its not) but I often wanted to have a magic staff similar to the fire rod in KF3, though instead of swinging it like a sword i think it would be cooler to have the staff outstretched toward the enemy (like the spider blade magic from KF2) for a few seconds before the magic fires. ‎  If only there was a way to make the weapon a projectile weapon :(

I also loved the triple fangs magic from KF3, coolest sword casting animation ever!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

You can actually do this, I know a way to make a model that "shoots" its cap / projectile at an enemy then returns. I was also thinking about making a crossbow given that it is actually feasible. It wont look much like a kings field crossbow / bow animation, but it will work... The problem is it will have to be a magic bow / crossbow that has magic projectiles.

(As in you dont have ammo.)

Though, to even things out you could have the item cursed, and the end animation longer to stop players from spamming attacks.

Either that or simply change the model of a spell............

I prefer not having ammo, I always thought that was a dumb mechanic to RPGs...why should someone who wants to play an archer class have to stop at the shop all the time when the swordmaster doesnt - I am not a fan of complication, just like I do not like Shadow Tower's introduction of weapon durability. ‎  To me, make the enemies interesting and challenging so the combat is unique and engaging...dont punish someone who forgot to grab a stack of bolts before leavnig town.

In regards to your projectile weapon, how do you make SOM determine the hit range for it? ‎  As far as I know each weapon has a specified length which dictates its hit box, how would you fool SOM into thinking the hit box lined up with the animation?

the modification of a spell animation sounds like a plausible idea, I never though of that!
Site Founder

I agree that no ammo and no durability is best, when you play a game set in a fantastical world you kind of expect things to be a bit more fantastical ‎  Smile like weapons that dont break, thats a given of course. In games that focus primarily on draining an enemies HP as fast as possible, such as Monster hunter... Durability would just ruin the rush and excitement of combat. Monster hunter has a "sharpness" gauge, but it lasts long enough.

Also, the shield in ST was removed from ST: Abyss. I think its better that way, and I have given up completely on a shield mechanic for SOM now. There wont be shields in my game either.

SOM has a hit window for each weapon, which collects as a singular hitbox at the center of the screen. With John's editor you can specify the length, hit timing and swing animation for the weapon - so to determine when a weapon hits, you would line up the frames in your attack animation with SOM's frame gauge. So if I made an animation in meta with the 55th frame as the primary hit time, then I would input 17 in the hit timing.

The only issue here is that you only get one hit range. So your damage wont travel - it will just hit at say 2.4 meters at exactly the 17th hit time. Meaning you have limited range and timing on a crossbow or bow. Does that make sense?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Awesome tool, do I have permission to make a page devoted to this and other such tools currently being used to make stuff in SOM?

Can someone please send me the file for this, I would like to host it and start collecting the tools together to help folks out finding stuff to make customs.
Site Founder

Hey Todd sorry for the late reply ‎  Movingeyes the .prf editor's thread is here ‎  Smile

SoM's amazing .prf editor

TEXTURE DUMP!!!! Fush

Massive map set for an important linking zone. I've made a ton of other pieces but this one seemed the most interesting.
Other maps are getting extra parts, such as the rock fortress.

New stuff added

- 3 brand new enemies, all with very different looks and functions, and varying attacks - you now need to be careful of varied attack times. Monsters will "try" to catch you off guard. Also, these new enemies run rather than walk, putting up the pressure! One is a boss that took about 2 full days to make. To make most enemies animations, it takes about 6 hours. Eah enemy has a unique texture and model too, so thats about 8 hours per enemy too. So yeah, tons of work.

Some enemies will have the ability to do a front flip over objects, or even to persue you... They are fast indeed, and will test your KF-hardened ability. All monsters have had alot of testing done though, so they are beatable. Wink

- Ton of new sounds for enemies. This didnt take as long as I had some great recordings.

- 30 new map parts since last post. All unique.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Man that looks interesting. Sounds like some really good stuff.

Amazing as always! I really like that 3rd screenshot. The lighting looks really great and I think I spy something up there that wants to rip out my throat Dazed. It could just be a normal statue, but you can never be too sure about those things Ninja. Dose that tile set there have multiple floors?