Happy Turkey Day 2010s

Yeah let's hope.

I spent virtually all of today peering into my monitor like a port hole in near freezing temperature decompressing after T-day... it was very Moby Dick, but anyway I was able to beat Som to the .ini file. All's left to do is reroute it thru the registry.

It was actually simple (though not altogether obvious) to inject SomEx into the top of the program (so it gets to go first) ... had that working since before Thanksgiving. The real trick turned out to be that the early injection does not get to run in the same thread. So the launcher had to somehow communicate the actual thread id to the other process. Interprocess communication is never simple but I wanted something lightweight/elegant. Anyway I got what I wanted. I think it's stable, but it's mighty particular... so let's just hope it doesn't become an Achilles' heel.

EDITED: I thought I could use the "environment" variables to communicate between the launcher and the game proper but turned out changes to the environment after the game had begun are not inherited and there was the catch-22 of not being able to set the thread ID in an environment variable because it's unknown until the game process is created (what a bitch) ... anyway thinking about how to manage the communication gave me some ideas about how to setup the Ex console, though ultimately it proved best to make that something that comes after the launcher detaches so to speak.

PS: So who's tried the new Trism download already?!

Messages In This Thread
Happy Turkey Day 2010s - by dmpdesign - 2010-11-26, 03:08 AM
Re: Happy Turkey Day 2010s - by HolyDiver - 2010-11-27, 02:14 AM
Re: Happy Turkey Day 2010s - by AsusX2 - 2010-11-30, 10:10 PM
Re: Happy Turkey Day 2010s - by HolyDiver - 2010-11-30, 10:26 PM
Re: Happy Turkey Day 2010s - by HolyDiver - 2010-12-02, 02:54 AM