SomEx instructions thread for Rathmor demo

I haven't really suggested (or even thought about) any non-technical changes to this demo outside of the kind of bugs that any game tester would report. But I recommend adding the following two lines to the [Adjust] section of the Ex.ini file for a more realistic and more enjoyable walking/running experience. If for no other reason than to better evaluate the improved locomotion provided by Ex's new (and undocumented) do_sway extension.

Code:
[Adjust]
pc_walk_speed_multiplier = 0.5
pc_dash_speed_multiplier = 0.7

;edited: for while dashing
fov_frustum_multiplier = 1.35

If you want a more athletic PC you might use .6 and .8 instead. I think these settings are more manageable for keyboard players too (try WASD+mouse and see for yourself)

EDITED: added fov_frustum_multiplier = 1.35 to keep tiles from disappearing along the edges. Necessary because the dash speed is made proportionally larger with these settings. You may need to increase this if you monkey with the turn/dash speeds. In theory decreasing it improves performance.

Bear in mind if the demo itself is updated WRT walk/dash settings, then these adjustments will then adjust the new settings potentially resulting in undesirable settings.

The demo doesn't tweak the locomotion at all, the defaults simply mirror SOM's "bob" sine wave, which is probably not ideal, but it's practical as far as defaults go. In the future it would be nice to have the locomotion based upon actual measurements for humans WRT height and movement speed, as they are the target audience after all ‎  Rainbow

Messages In This Thread
Re: Rathmor Demo SomEx instructions thread - by HolyDiver - 2012-12-24, 11:34 PM