How is SOM different (or not different) from what people do with PC games (mods)

I've read on RPG maker forums that the "bottom fell out" of the game making market years back. I highly suspect that it coincided with it becoming standard practice for companies to release level editors with their games. For a timeline, I think Morrowind was one of the first big games that included a comprehensive editor.

Easily 50% of the PC games I've played recently come with some sort of official editing kit, and popular games usually have quite a few unofficial editing techniques as well. Mods range from a simple texture change in the regular game to completely new addon games. They are still processed through the same engine though, so they come out something like alternate versions of the "mother" game. Our very own Verdite played a art in making an amazing mod for Mount and Blade called Brythenwalda.

Game making and modding definitely tap into the same creative root, but modding has the allure of being attached to the fanbase of the original game. And they can be as big or small as you want while still being playable by working with the original game. Game makers support modding because it expands their games through no effort of their own, and fosters long enduring community chatter about their prduct.

Messages In This Thread
Re: How is SOM different (or not different) from what people do with PC games (mods) - by HwitVlf - 2013-06-22, 10:07 AM