How is SOM different (or not different) from what people do with PC games (mods)

(2013-06-27, 10:36 AM)HwitVlf link Wrote: Do I really need to include that part too, just to show what is blatantly obvious to anyone with a brain ? ‎  Firstmate
" the software and its products are owned by ‎  the supplier FROM SOFTWARE and are protected by international treaty provisions."

I don't care if someone tries to sell an SoM game because From isn't likely to complain about it. But you shouldn't be spreading misinformation saying it's legal and think no one is smart enough to know otherwise. You wrote a couple paragraphs on your site saying how unprecedented it was that a company (From) would give fans unlimited rights to their intellectual property. That's just balderdash.

This is nonsense. It's game making software. It's for making games. Redistributable games. That is a feature that I am sure is on the box. The game that it generates is equivalent to a save file. You can share it. You can sell it.

Quote:
Quote:And where does that say you cannot distribute your King's Field game?
"You can not separate components for use on more than one computer"

That applies only to SOM itself. Not the games you make with it.

Quote:
Quote:It doesn't say anything about not selling your game either.
Let me explain a very simple aspect of the copyright law to you: if they don't EXPLICITLY give you a right, you don't have it. If you're actually living in reality, you should ask where DOES it say you CAN sell a game.

This is paranoid thinking. There is no copyright on the games. That's like saying if you buy a magic marker you can't sell your drawing without getting permission from its manufacturer. Also licenses are incredibly verbose. If they were not negative that would not be necessary. All software is licensed. Not copyrighted. No one is copying SOM.

Quote:
Quote:Selling fan mad stuff is common in Japan.
I doubt it, but are you suggesting that somehow makes it legal?

It is actually. The copyright holder has to intercede.

Quote:
Quote: Never mind this is the same disclaimer you'll find on every single piece of software.
No it's not. Several parts, including some I didn't bother to include make it clear this license was specifically written for SoM.

Again. If it was special to SOM it would address the unique aspects of SOM. It's drafted just like a word processing software or anything else.

Quote:
Quote:It isn't a document outlining what you can do with the games you make with SOM.
As stated above, you can NOT do anything unless you are specifically granted that right.

Tell that to everyone who buys SOM to make games. This is paranoid. It's embarrassing to even talk this way. You think you don't have a right to sell a game that you did all of the work for? When there is no clause that says you can't. And you don't need the SOM disc to play the games. That's an insult to From' and humanity. I am sure a court would agree enough is implied that the consumer would be in the right to assume that right.

Quote:
Quote:If you own a copy of SOM you can make a game and distribute it.
You're lying. "You can not separate components for use on more than one computer."

The game you make is not a component. Do you think because the art files are copied into the game folder that means everyone must play your game on the computer you installed SOM onto? You're embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
Quote: And From says this contract is only enforceable for Japanese residents. Foreigners enjoy no restrictions.
You're lying. ‎  "protected by international treaty provisions"

That is a statement directly from From Software. Why do you go around calling people liars so casually? The international treaties that are mentioned do not pertain to copying anyway. I can't remember what they were about.

Quote:
Quote:And are not forbidden to own a copy of SOM by way of a Japanese reseller.
True, because that right is specifically granted in the license agreement, but completely irrelevant. ‎  Drool

This is again, another statement from From, just to assure non Japanese users that even though they are not bound by the license they are still encouraged to use SOM, and not in some kind of legal limbo.

EDITED: Also. Just to be clear. Everything here is totally self evident. The only relevant question as far as I am concerned is do you have a right to sell King's Field games. With King's Field IP. As far as I am concerned you do. You'll have to prove otherwise in court if you want to make some kind of a point.

PS: Have some faith in humanity. You can be pretty dark company. You don't want to scare anyone anyway.

Messages In This Thread
Re: How is SOM different (or not different) from what people do with PC games (mods) - by HolyDiver - 2013-06-27, 01:02 PM