Leveling Up

In most games I've played, I feel like the whole concept of "leveling up" is mostly an illusion. If the game is not boring, the player will always be fighting enemies who are close to his own power. So "leveling up" is just a way to make the player feel like they are progressing, even though they aren't. For instance, the difficulty in King's Field(US) when you first set foot on the shores of Melenant seems about the same as the difficulty in the last levels of the game. So really, what was the point of all the leveling up? ‎ 

I'm thinking maybe a system closer to some of the Zelda games is better. Instead of "leveling up stats" you find equipment that gives you new skills. Or you learn new weapon techniques that make your fighting more effective, but not necessarily more damaging. And, right from the beginning of the game, some enemies are extremely strong others are easy.

Does anyone have thoughts on a good alternative to a "leveling up" system? Or maybe leveling up is the way to go after all?

Messages In This Thread
Leveling Up - by HwitVlf - 2013-07-06, 09:45 PM
Re: Leveling Up - by HolyDiver - 2013-07-07, 08:58 AM
Re: Leveling Up - by Madison Lastrega - 2013-07-07, 05:08 PM
Re: Leveling Up - by HwitVlf - 2013-07-10, 08:47 AM
Re: Leveling Up - by Madison Lastrega - 2013-07-10, 02:29 PM
Re: Leveling Up - by Verdite - 2013-07-10, 06:37 PM
Re: Leveling Up - by HwitVlf - 2013-07-10, 08:10 PM