Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?

Just stopping by to say on behalf of the internet how psyched I am about the progress you've made with this project so far, which I am assuming you are doing for no other incentive than for the edification of english-speaking fans of the series.

It is my belief that once you have a full or near-to-full patch released that you'll be able to drum up the community support to find more than enough volunteers to provide a unique voice of professional quality for all speaking roles.

Nice to hear from you Rovole ‎  Smile

I am just doing this project with my free time as a fan of Brigindine and the turn-based-strategy genre. I can see that more people would be willing to take effort for voicing once the text-patch is released. Since there are still quite a few holes in the voicing, I will probably be releasing a sub-titled version first and then do some advertising for actors to fill in the missing parts.

Now that I've worked with some voicing samples, I have a new appreciation for the level of effort and commitment it takes from the actors to produce synced and good sounding voices. ‎  When I think back on early anime shows like Robotech, I can see what an amazing accomplishment it was to come up with a script that matched the lip motions and then get everything recorded to make a compelling story. And that was back in the early days of PCs when there wasn't software to do 90% of the job automatically. ‎  Eek ‎ 

Questions for Brigandine fans:
How do you pronounce "Forsena"?
a) Four+seen+a
b) Four+sin+a
c) other

How do you pronounce the name "Halley"?
a) Hall+ee
b) Hail+ee
c) other

Here are some other Brignadine names with their official pronunciations. Most of these are Welsh Gallic ‎  names from the Arthurian legend, Cai being more commonly known as Sir Kay, Arthur's foster brother. Caerleon is an actual ruin in England which has been suggested as the real location of Camelot (ie ‎  where the historic warlord Arthur maintained a court).

Gereint ‎  = Gear + rhine + t
Brangien ‎  = Bran + gain
Dinadan = Di + na +dan
Palomides = Pal + uh + mead + eez
Cai = K + eye

1. c. Four-sen(as in Sen's fortress)-a, Four-sain-a?

2. b, seeing as how this is a woman's first name we're talking about. Hall-ee is more seen in surnames, or at least, thats how I feel about it.

As long as you get the pronunciation consistent I doubt anyone will have any credible complaints.
Caerleon is partly based on arthurian legend, maybe thats why they're so dorky. Learn a new thing every day.

For Forsena- I go with option a (Four-seen-a)

Halley- I would say Hal-lee

Hi. I bumped into this thread while I was searching for games similar to brigandine.
imagine my surprise when I find that someone is still working on making the patch for GE.. ‎  Smile

so yeah, I'll be rooting for you ‎  beerchug

(2014-11-05, 05:13 AM)Rovole link Wrote:Caerleon is partly based on arthurian legend, maybe thats why they're so dorky.
Ha ha, the original legend of King Arthur (from ancient bardic songs) was actually pretty hard core blood guts and gore. Think Beowulf with attitude. But the legend got a lot of "fluff" added to it as centuries passed. For instance the French added Lancelot, a French knight who was the best fighter in the world and steals the kings wife ‎  :sick[1]:. The historical Arthur was first mentioned in a History of Britain around the 650 AD, well before the age of knights and chivalry. He was a battle master of the Romanized-Celts who took on the defense of England after it was abandoned by the Romans and fought a series of battles against the invading Saxons. They had been pouring into England by the boatload for about a hundred years, but there's evidence that Arthur may have been so successful, that they began to flee back the mainland of Europe. <- spontaneous insertion of boring facts ‎  Badteeth

Kammu, thanks for the encouragement! ‎  beerchug

Username, I think technically those pronunciations are correct based on the spelling. Rovole is probably right that it doesn't matter as long as it's consistent, I was just wondering if there was a common norm. Thanks guys ‎  Smile

Ah yes, a period of time most people know only as the setting of arthurian legend, something I would be guilty of if I hadn't played a certain M&B mod(Brytenwalda). After the fall of Rome it seemed the British isles was the new hip place to be in the world at the time.

I wasn't aware Lancelot was a french(Norman?) invention, but then again I'm not an expert on arthurian legend, such that I am liable to believe King Arthur was actually a woman call Arturia who posed as a man to lend legitimacy to "his" crown.

As far as Brigandine is concerned, does this mean that Alemekia is modelled on france? Or just Padstow(modelled after france?)

I've wondered if the countries of Forsena were modeled after something real, I've heard some interesting guesses.

Forena's map looks similar to a "Chibi" version of England itself. And most of the the mythology/names in Brigandine are Norse or Celt, both of which had a heavy presence in Britannia at one time. If Forsena is a quasi-England, I could equate the Vikings in the north to Norgard, the Celts to Caerleon and Padstow, and the French (Lyonesse = Joan of Arc) to the Normans.

I don't really know who Almekia or Iscalio would be. Their location would suggest Saxon maybe?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It was my impression that Iscalio was an Italy-analogue, given its peninsular location and the fact it doesn't have a proper king, rather a tyrant who holds his nation together with force and personality, a fantastic scenario for the early unification of what our history tells us of squabbling Italian nation-states.

Almekia struck me as a watered-down Germania, given its central location and wide swathes of territory, but aside from that I can't spot many germane(hue hue) traits and nothing definite.

I thought of Padstow as Franco-esque because of its position as a client kingdom of Almekia, though now that you mention it Leonia is alot more french, aside from its pacifistic tendencies.

As you can see I've chosen to compare Forsena to mainland europe rather than Britain(because only an Englishman would refer to the whole island as "England",) with the map being set on an island to be more tidy. I suppose it could work both ways, but as you said before that makes it hard to place Iscalio. Roman remnants, maybe?

This is all speculative, but I like to try to pick out the various flavors of medieval in any medieval fantasy. And since forsena.org is dust, I have nowhere else to really put this conversation...