Getting Started Again can be difficult

Hello all, Madison here with a question. I am trying to set up a laptop for SoM, and I have Win7 Ultimate x64.... well no luck with running it in x64.... So I setup a virtual machine of Winxp pro (full legal).... the editor works ok I guess.... but I can't test nothing or see anything for that matter....In fact I cant even exit by the escape key * catches breath* ‎  So my question is , Can I run SoM in x64 some way or do I have to install x32 version? , and will it work..... I have no way to run XP natively.... machines are too new:) and this running in VMware xp mode SUCKS monkey parts. ‎  ‎  My Toshiba wont even install XP drivers for this laptop......I have reformatted the poor thing like 6 times now trying to get my beloved SoM running again........ Any ideas? ‎  ‎  ‎  kinda makes restarting a project a tad discouraging ya know. ‎  ‎  thanks ‎  ML

PS earliest my Toshiba can run natively is vista....... xp will install but there are NO drivers for it in xp only vista and up :) ‎ 

Hi all update for today , got my Som up and running on 7x64..... runs pretty well now . (had to adjust my settings) ‎  Anyway now for the task of putting all my old work on this machine, then blender meta24, and maya......whhhhew ‎  then perhaps I can play........... now I need my friends (s) help here , should I continue with my old project or start anew? I remember how complex mytrosia's card system was and the massive amount of event programming, or should I start a new project with more realistic goals in mind . ‎  any suggestions? my friends..................

I've seen a lot of projects fail to complete here. You made a lot of progress, but we're all only human and it takes a tremendous amount of work to complete a game single handedly. My advice would be to restart with a small project that is easier to complete and try to finish it.

You can always pick up Mytrosia again after that. You'll probably learn a lot along the way that could be applied to Mytrosia if you do pick it back up someday. Rainbow

Joe you'l have all of your assets from Mytrosia / FBTW so this is a huge elimination in terms of making a project. Creating unique assets takes time, and you've already got over that hill, think of the time and design youve put into them.

I'd go with what John said, if you think you are up for a new project then you'l do great. But if you kinda want to hark back to your masterpiece, then theres no stopping ya. And if you think that the events you created will took a long time to make, you'l probably be put off making them again. So... Either you'l start fresh with a new and possibly a less complicated framework, or you'l use your existing framework... If that makes sense ‎  Wink

I totally agree with you and John this time. I think the biggest deterrent that I had on my last attempt was my event program is so complex in so massive, that it got to be very distracting and time consuming. When other events happened in my life that took away from that time it became very easy for me to get distracted in sidetracked. So this time I think I'm going to start fresh with all the pieces that I built from my previous works, I am looking forward to building other pieces and new map of course, and I am very please with some of the progress that you have made with the animations as well as the work that mick is done. So thanks for the advice I believe I will be starting something new.....................ML. ‎  ‎  now the only question that I have now is, should I do a fan base game or should I do something completely original. I've been thinking about doing a fan base game of the old Atari 2600 game called swordquest earth world. It was a very simple game first time. But I think a first-person variation of it would be awesome. Or should I just start something completely new I appreciate any feedback that you are the other members have.

Well i'd say look at a game that encompasses what you'd like to achieve, and if the game cant offer you that then its probably best to make your own. Main reason I didnt start on a KF game is because I dont like being restricted by game lore and expectations etc.

I don't think there's a right answer as to what type of game to make. ‎  Maybe a fan-base remake would be easier since some of the gameplay concepts would be laid out already. ‎  Since Mick enabled jumping, you could even make a platformer!

Y'all want to hear an SoM funny? ‎  ‎  Alright I'm getting' my environment set and I laid out some stock map tiles to see if any I was going to keep. ‎  Then I was going to place an object or two just to refresh my memory right? I started to panic when I could see any objects NPC's or anything....... So I go though all my files and everything's right........ It takes my an hour to remember that you have to register everything in the parameter editor first :-) ‎ 

Dang getting started again is hard to do :-) ‎  Just thought I would share that funny story with you all :-)
I know I will probably forget so much more....... Thank goodness for you guys, just promise not to laugh out loud when I ask a remedial question that I should know, or at least give me time to remember.

Then I got to get used to the new tools Holy diver made... Some look dam good too :-) ‎  can't wait to jump :-)

After getting my workstation completed, and all my old sword of moonlight files and my XP yeah I said it XP up and running I have my ‎  cheat documents handy, I am ready to start a new SoM game.... My project will named SQS Ultra.

More information to come as I progress with project. All I can say right now is that........ Thank the good lord I made over 300 textures already.

On the XP comment I finally decided to revert to Xp on this project because my laptop wouldn't take dx9 drivers with dx11 none or Mick's tools worked, and I wanted to incorporate his upgrades :-) plus on the really though, I just really like the feel of Windows XP when it comes to using the sword of moonlight program, and I got pretty fast at it......

...........ML

(2013-06-17, 09:07 PM)Madison Lastrega link Wrote: On the XP comment I finally decided to revert to Xp on this project because my laptop wouldn't take dx9 drivers with dx11 none or Mick's tools worked, and I wanted to incorporate his upgrades :-) plus on the really though, I just really like the feel of Windows XP when it comes to using the sword of moonlight program, and I got pretty fast at it.

That's impossible. You are doing something wrong. Everyone would return Windows if it wouldn't work with D3D9 games (many new games are still strictly D3D9)