Hello

A quick peek at a new lizard skin.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice work Ben, keep it up........ need any trees man I got your back:)

Nice to hear from you Joe!!
So far so good for trees, ive built most of my custom armory already.

Heres a helm i made, which has yet to be skinned. I added this because i need ideas on the texturing. Its a snake helm, i just wonder what you guys would like to see in it, and if you think it needs and reworking let me know. Ps its JPG. ‎  Razz

Man I wish had not had all these computer blow outs, but it's given me a lot of time to catch up on a lot of stuff I'd been neglecting.

I was on the cusp of handing you guys a fully functional MDL importer (and hopefully an exporter to the likes of .x soon there after)

If you (collectively speaking) have ambitions to make completely new monsters/npcs even traps and doors and stuff, you might want to go ahead and get started working on them. It will probably take you a little time to prepare things and it would be really nice if I had some real tangible goals to achieve for some people while I work out the kinks.

I'm thinking within about a months time this should be a reality anyway.

@Todd, if you want to start animating a Guyra monster for DD that will be totally doable. Small warning, the "Dragon Newt" monsters cross over at least half the maximum number of bytes allowed for soft animation and the importer will probably not compress the animation data nearly as well as Som's files for some time (you'd really need a Som centric tool for doing that ... or figure out what PSOne SDK tool the team was likely using)

^A really epic Guyra could consist of multiple body parts that could turn to face the player as long as the body sat more or less still in the middle.

I may need help animating a model and applying attacks to it via methods vague to me ‎  Sweatdrop Flip.

Attached Files
.bmp   knight.bmp (Size: 900.05 KB / Downloads: 228)

From the .mdl file pov each type of .mdl file (which folder they are in basically) has certain numeric identifiers assigned to each animation, like 4 is death for enemies, open for treasure chests/doors and I forget what for NPCs. So in your modeling suite you just need to include the animations and name them so the importer can detect the number (no need to go into the details)

Any kind of animation should work. My plan is if it's a traditional skeletal like animation to use the hard animation and if not to just sample it each frame in order to construct a soft animation.

The way attacking and stuff works is you need to embed special triangles into the model. Your suite/format will have to support per vertex colours for that part to work. Normal model faces are white and special triangles are colour coded (can give you the details later)

That's pretty much it from the .mdl side of things.

PS: About that epic Guyra setup. I think you'd have to not let the player walk behind the front of the central body part because the head etc would follow the player. There really should be a setting for limiting turn angles but I'm pretty sure there isn't one. If there was that would not be a problem.

Compare the file size under each of the last two attachments (4.19 KB vs. 900.05 KB) one jpg and one bmp. If you need lossless look into png.

I realised that a while ago, i just hadnt converted it to .jpg

Well i havent done any animation yet, when i get one up and running model ill post it here. I really could use some fresh enemy models.

I am following you, its just ive got a big list of things to sort out. One of them is painting / portraits in game.
I've got at least three major areas (outdoor) to set up before i post a demo. And at least five or six minor dungeons. All these will have events, so... A one man army isnt that fast. ‎  Biggrin

Bear with me!

Hear Hear My friend.......... & months in SoM and I am still in the SETUP phase....... The problem for me is I still get new ideas to make improvments....and it makes me have to REDO the stuff I already did.......... like my grass sets........first I wanted them to look more textured so I made them "bumpy".......So I did....... Then I said hey to save objects and to look more uniform, "lets add grass to EVERY GRASS PIECE" So I did......... then I wanted to raise all parts that raised above the surface to BE above the surface..So I did..And lastly I want fix any holes cause by the new "Bumpy" look......... So I did....and each makeover required me to REDO the WHOLE SET........so I feel ya Ben Really I do...........one man can only go but so fast.......ML

making map parts made me want to kill myself...
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder