Map memory etc.

Because intended to use more realistic, high vertices models for my main forest area in Rathmor, i realised that doing so would leave me little memory for placing trees etc. So im sacking off any new ideas for custom map parts. Ill be using the SoM stock when i need to make variants from now on. It just isnt worth the effort spending hours on map sets that people probably couldnt give a toss about. Ive done enough.

Even modern games use relatively low-poly ground/wall models because people tend to focus on objects more than the ground. I don't think using some basic models will detract from enjoying your game at all.

Yeah i think you are right. Building assets takes a lot of time, especially if you want something to look similiar to SoMs stock models, and i think ive used alot of time already! Ill probably just stick to what ive made now along with the SoM stock.

Ben, do you (or anyone else) have any tips for how to set the elevation on map pieces for irregular hilly terrain?

I've found Pumpkin Paster's brush feature somewhat helpful, but mostly I just have to set each Piece's elevation manually.

Copying and pasting a 'crop' of map pieces manually is a good idea then just using the elevate and lower buttons in the map editor to save time, simple variants like a 4x6 square mound of grass on top of a hill can give an irregular feel.

Having basins with different depths at the foot of each hill can also help to give that irregular look. Hope this helps.