Old demo thread

Hi Mord, thanks very much for your feedback!

Pleased you like the demo, are you sure you have visited all areas? :) There are six in total.

If you're wondering about the sixth try examining some "special" items.

There are secret walls in the game, try pushing up against some areas in the blackrock caverns and fortress. ‎ Wink

Also if you find crabshells you can sell them, theres plenty of items you can find and sell too - trust me the green key is well worth every bit of gold!!

I'm pretty sure I haven't found everything yet, and you have just convinced me to sit down and explore some more tonight. ‎  Cool ‎ 
Another bug that is probably somewhat random: after I got Rathmor's Seal and used it to get back to the earliest well warp area, I tried to go back to the caverns/sewers in the beginning. ‎  But when I leave the outside area to go down to the caverns, the game crashes on me. ‎  I'll try again to see if a couple days of rest have somehow fixed it. ‎ 

I would also like to reiterate everyone else's compliments on the custom map pieces and such. ‎  I almost got hit by the same skeleton as HwitVlf while looking up at the trees... ‎  And the character dialogues! ‎  I think the most hilarious part so far was Ultorc's response to the kid wetting the bed after having hallucinogenic pies. ‎ 

Ooh, another note on something that I think may have been intentional: In the ruins area with the scorpions, I ran up the long staircase, but could not proceed past the last step to the top (which has a bluish magical barrier instead of the yellow ones in the miners' compound) - the game just stops me at the last step. I assume that this is because that area is not accessible in the demo? ‎ 

Alas, the game still crashes every time I try to walk down the corridor from the fortress to go back to the caverns at the beginning. ‎  I even tried starting up a fresh game, running through to the next area, then immediately turning around to enter the caverns again, but no dice. ‎ 

Managed to find the Balkor, though! ‎  I tried to be cheeky and kill it the cowardly way by staying on land after I drew it in, but it was quite adept at following me up onto land every time I tried... ‎  Rolleyes

(2011-05-20, 02:12 AM)dmpdesign link Wrote: Here is my save game!
Thanks Todd. I'll see if I can figure anything out :)

I tried all I could figure to identify the source of Todd's crash, but didn't find anything conclusive.

I added a 'display message' command to pause the game after warping to the new map and it looks like it starts to load (you can see the walls and hear music) but it crashes as soon as you dismiss the 'message' - might be evidence that the problem is in the new map instead of the village map.

I spliced the forest map data from one of my saves onto the end of Todd's save and his game will warp now without crashing, but events in the forest area might act like he's already been there. At least you could play on without much impact if you want. I hope we can figure out the source of these crashes and document it.

In case you don't already know, I saw why your custom textures weren't showing up. They're accidentally in ".../data/enemy/texture/texture/" ‎ so we just need to move them up one level to ".../data/enemy/texture/".

Attached Files
.zip   01.zip (Size: 5.46 KB / Downloads: 146)

Ah i see, thankyou very much for your help on this matter wolf, i'm pleased Todd can now play through the rest of the demo.
I appreciate this. Thanks also for notifying me about the textures.

Mord, thats good help too, ill see if i can fix that up for the full version, maybe Todd/Wolf have a similiar error.

My demo probably differs quite a bit from other SoM games, in that it has a spawn by character level. So items, creatures, and the like will spawn when you enter their map based on level... Maybe i'm doing something wrong in my events.

I know I'm kinda jumpin into the demo late but I just downloaded it and I can't wait to try this out later tonight.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. Ninja

I know that you're not going to work on fixing crashes for the time being, but I thought I'd throw in 2 cents for when your project reaches that phase. ‎  Just to make absolutely sure the problem I had (where the game crashes when I try to re-enter the caverns from the fortress) was not caused by my machine, I ran a couple tests. ‎  Running the game in XP mode on Win7 had the same issue, and I I threw it on an old XP laptop I have - and it still crashes. ‎ 

I re-downloaded the demo from the main site again to see if any of the files I was using were corrupted, but I still run into the same issue. ‎ 

I don't want to waste any of Verdite's time on this at the moment. ‎  Is there anyone out there who has a copy where they can successfully re-enter the caverns without a crash and would be willing to send me their copy via PM to look for any discrepancies? ‎  If so, thanks! ‎  If not, I'll do my best to wait until the full version is out. ‎  Wink

I'm getting the same crash, oddly. I cant think of what could be causing it.

Sorry about that.

Just found it. Ill add a fix.

Okay... Go into the data/map file and transfer these files there and replace the originals. Should allow you to enter blakrock caverns.